TPEP September 2013: Getting Started
September 2013 Workshops focused on orienting new participants as they get ready to have healthy pregnancies and become healthy parents.
- Orientation Workshop: At the beginning of a new academic year, we welcomed new TPEP participants and explained what they can expect from the program.
- Creating Our Life Masks: Each participant learned how to identify the masks she wears, to recognize the masks that others put upon her, and how to view others’ masks with more compassion.
- Back to School Block Party: This workshop – part discussion, part fact-sharing, part celebration – equipped teen participants with information about human anatomy and birth control methods.
- Special September TPEP Session: Hip Hop rapper and pioneer MC Lyte joined guests from the Hip Hop Sisters Foundation in a visit with TPEP participants at Perennial Transitional House.
TPEP October 2013: Healthy Family Connections
October TPEP Workshops focused on developing healthy family relationships
- Dear Daddy: TPEP-ers wrote a letter to their child’s father
- Positive Solutions for Families: Natasha Stovall facilitated this workshop focused on how to cultivate family relationships, quality time, positive comments, and encouragement in a child’s early life stages.
- Life Is Piece of Pie: this time management workshop, geared for teenagers, showed young parents how to divide their time wisely in order to fulfill their responsibilities.
- Special October TPEP Session: TPEP offered an Infant CPR certification course facilitated by Andrea Doctor, RN, MSN, CCRN,CCRC (with our partner organization, the UDC School of Nursing). TPEP participants learned techniques for handling a life-threatening emergency, such as choking, stopped breathing, a fall or a near-drowning; accident prevention; home childproofing measures. Teen parents also learned how to prevent, recognize and respond to cardiac and breathing emergencies, use an automatic external defibrillator (AED), treat wounds and burns, and care for sudden illnesses in infants and children.
Coming up …
Annual TPEP Halloween Book Party: October 30
HBP partner Iota Phi Lambda Sorority hosts this fun and educational evening for teen parents, parents-to-be, and their children.
TPEP Field Trip: November 10
TPEP participants travel to Hemlock Overlook Regional Park in Clifton, VA for a team building adventure with zip line.
TPEP Fall 2013 Graduation & Goddess Ceremony: November 15
TPEP participants, friends, family, and supporters will come together to celebrate a milestone in the TPEP program.